Children’s Hospital of Ireland – Overview
- The children's hospital, including research, education and commercial areas, will occupy a total floor space of 108,467m²
- It will be of variable height from four storeys fronting onto Eccles Street to sixteen storeys (fifteen storeys plus roof plant) – adjacent to the new Mater Adult Hospital
- The children’s hospital will accommodate full clinical facilities including; emergency department, operating theatres and procedure rooms, consult and examination rooms, out-patients, in-patient care including critical care, day care provision, family resource centre, associated research laboratories, education and training facilities, hospital school, hospital café and restaurant, hospital shop, pharmacy, public and staff circulation spaces
- The children’s hospital is designed to accomodate 392 in-patient beds and 53 day care beds. Out-patient, day and emergency care will be provided both in the Children's Hospital at the Mater Campus and in a new ambulatory and urgent care facility in Tallaght
- The ambulatory facility at Tallaght will accommodate an additional 28 day-care beds and 3 day theatres, bringing the total number of beds in the new children's hospital to 473.
- This will replace the existing three hospitals full complement of 463 beds (comprising 399 in-patient and 74 day care).
- There will be 13 operating theatres and 2 procedure rooms
- There will be 972 spaces at the new hospital following the construction of a new four-storey underground car park. There will also be provision for 243 bicycle spaces with vehicular access via Eccles St.
- The gardens, courtyards and green play areas in the new Children’s Hospital of Ireland are approximately 7,500m²